Thursday, October 22, 2020

Make a wish / Pede um desejo

 Nota: Versão portuguesa mais abaixo


I had a birthday recently and I was asked (repeatedly) what I wished for the next year. When I claimed I didn’t wish for anything in particular people found it hard to believe, they thought I was being mysterious or secretive about it.

A couple days ago I got a fun gift, a cute notebook to take notes about “100 things I want to accomplish, create, learn, share, improve, see, fight for, experience and organize”, I basically only need 10 things for each category and yet it’s surprising how hard it is to come up with ideas.

I live in the constant struggle of being focused on the future while dwelling on the past, while finding extremely difficult to be in the present, but while I fantasize about what could be, those are not necessarily things I wish for. In fact, some are things I don’t want to happen at all.

Fantasizing is an escape, but it is also a way to experience parallel realities, to test limits, imagine how I would react to different scenarios, process emotions and experiences, reflect about life’s meaning and my purpose in this world. The good thing about having a wild imagination is that, one, you come up with so many scenarios, that you don’t get attached to any in particular and two, some of them are so unrealistic that you don’t really expect them to become true anyway. To it allows you to low off some steam, it allows you to expel some energy and frustrations and fears, but it doesn’t set up expectations so high that make anything else unpleasant.

So what this experience has taught me, both being asked about my wishes and trying to fill in that notebook, is that I don’t really have many wishes, at least not concrete ones. I’m open to many experiences, I hope I get to keep on traveling and cross my path with inspiring people, just like I hope I keep growing and finding my place in the world, but I don’t have a detailed idea on what that means, what that looks like. I don’t wish to go here or there, because what I really want is to go everywhere. I don’t want to meet a particular person or group of people, because there are so many that are worth knowing. Everyday I discover news things I want to grow at, and when it comes to my place in the world… more and more I’m finding it’s about the journey.

So other than the obvious, health and peace for everyone (which I know is already asking a lot, but not in my control), I don’t really wish for anything. I’ll take what it comes and try to make the best of it.

 

Pede um desejo

 

Fiz anos recentemente, e foi-me perguntado, repetidamente, que desejos tinha para o próximo ano. Quando respondi não ter nenhum desejo em particular as pessoas não acreditaram, acharam que estava a ser misteriosa ou a querer guardar segredo.

Há uns dias recebi um presente, um bonito caderno intitulado “100 coisas que quero alcançar, criar, aprender, partilhar, melhorar, ver, defender, experienciar, organizar”, a premissa é escrever 10 coisas para cada categoria, mas é mais difícil do que parece!

Eu vivo na constante luta entre viver focada no futuro, com a nostalgia do passado… É-me muito difícil viver no presente, mas apesar de fantasiar muito, as minhas fantasias não são necessariamente desejos, aliás algumas não são sequer coisas que quero que aconteçam.

A fantasia é um escape, mas também é uma forma de experienciar realidades paralelas, de testar limites, imaginar como reagiríamos em cenários alternativos, de processar emoções e experiências, reflectir sobre o significado da vida e o nosso propósito no mundo. A vantagem de ter uma imaginação fértil é que, por um lado, inventamos tantos cenários, que não ficamos vinculados a nenhum em particular, e por outro, alguns desses cenários são tão irrealistas que jamais esperamos que se tornem realidade. Isso permite libertar alguma pressão, expelir energias, frustrações e medos sem, no entanto, criarmos expectativas demasiado altas ou inatingíveis.

Esta experiência, de ser questionada sobre os meus desejos e de tentar preencher aquele caderno fez-me perceber que não tenho mesmo grandes desejos, pelo menos nada que seja concreto. Estou aberta a muitas experiências, espero poder continuar a viajar e a cruzar o meu caminho com pessoas inspiradoras, tal como espero continuar a crescer e a encontrar o meu espaço no mundo, mas não tenho a mais vaga ideia do que isso significa. Não desejo ir aqui, ou ali, porque na verdade quero ir a todo o lado. Não desejo conhecer uma pessoa ou grupo de pessoas em particular, porque há tantas que vale a pena conhecer. Todos os dias descubro coisas novas que quero aprender, e no que diz respeito ao meu lugar no mundo… cada vez mais me convenço que o que importa é o caminho.

Por isso, tirando as óbvias, paz e saúde para todos (que já é um desejo enorme, mas que não depende de mim), não desejo nada. Aceito o que vier, e tentarei tirar partido da melhor forma.

No comments :