Thursday, December 24, 2020

It's good to be back / É bom estar de volta

 Nota: Versão portuguesa mais abaixo


I didn’t realize I was missing it until I got it back.

I like my job, and I’m aware how privileged I’m for being able to do something that gives me joy and a purpose in life. It’s not something I take for granted, nor something that I have to force myself to do, but this has been a weird year, a year that forced us to close doors and enforce distance.

The challenge is far from being over, even today, Christmas Eve, we are being forced to reinvent long lasting family traditions for a greater good, but little by little over the past 9/10 months, we’ve learned to adjust.

On Monday we had our “normal” open doors day at work. Actually, there was nothing normal about it… We were constantly disinfecting hands and surfaces, the masks covered their (and ours) smiles, for the first time EVER we had to deny entrance to some kids and, perhaps the hardest part of all… we had to deny hugs and reinforce physical distance.

So, come to think of it, nothing about Monday, or the days that followed was normal… The kids used to hug us all the time, it was the first thing they did when they’d arrived, and before they’d leave, and anywhere in between… They hugged us when they were happy, we made sure to hug them when they were sad… it was our very own language of love.

I had wondered before how it would feel to go back knowing there would be all these rules to follow, knowing how much of our identity was being stolen for safety and health.

Monday finally came, and we followed the rules, and we adapted and adjusted and did the best we can. The day went by fast, as it does when you’re busy, and it wasn’t until I was walking home, tired, my head still full of their voices and laughter and shouting… that I realized how much I had missed it.

I was, like I hadn’t been in months, tired, but completely hyped.

I was, like so many times in the past, done with the day, but still processing all the interactions I’d had during the day.

I was, I realized then, glad to be back in that crazy, dysfunctional to the untrained eye, environment where you’re answering to 3 different kids at the same time, while managing a dispute between 2 other kids and explaining the rules of a game to another bunch, while your phone is ringing and your colleague is trying to talk to you…

I was glad to be back because I had truly missed it. I was glad because even though it’s not perfect, even though I hate they can’t see me smiling at them, I have we can’t hug, or be all bunched up in the same 4 square feet, we still have eachother and when this all passes we will be stronger than before.

 

É bom estar de volta

 

Nem me apercebi que tinhas saudades até o ter de volta.

Gosto do meu trabalho e tenho a noção do privilégio que tenho em fazer fazer algo que me dá prazer um propósito na vida. Não é algo que tome por certo, ou que tenha de me forçar a fazer todos os dias, mas 2020 tem sido um ano esquisito, um ano que nos obrigou a fechar portas e forçar distâncias.

O desafio está longe de estar terminado, hoje mesmo, na véspera de Natal, estamos a ver-nos obrigados a reinventar as tradições de família por um bem maior, mas nos últimos 9/10 meses, pouco a pouco, fomos aprendendo a adaptar-nos.

Na segunda feira tive o primeiro dia “normal” de portas abertas no trabalho. Na verdade, pouco houve de normal… Passámos o dia a desinfetar mãos e superfícies, as máscaras escondiam os sorrisos (os nossos e os deles), pela primeira vez tivemos de negar a entrada a algumas crianças e, talvez o pior de tudo, tivemos de negar abraços e forçar a distância física.

Por isso, pensando bem, nada sobre segunda feira, ou os dias que se seguiram, foi normal… Os miúdos costumavam abraçar-nos a todo o momento, era a primeira coisa que faziam quando chegavam e a última que faziam no final do dia… Abraçavam-nos quando estavam contentes, e nós garantíamos sempre abraços quando estavam tristes também… era a nossa linguagem de amor.

Já me tinha questionado como seria voltar sabendo que teríamos todas estas novas regras para implementar, sabendo que tanto da nossa identidade se perderia pelo bem da segurança e da saúde.

Finalmente a segunda feira chegou, seguimos as regras e adaptamo-nos o melhor que conseguimos. O dia passou a voar, o que acontece quando se está ocupado, e só quando já ía a caminho de casa, cansada, com a cabeça ainda cheia das suas vozes, dos seus risos e dos seus gritos é que percebi as saudades que sentia de tudo isso.

Estava, como não me sentia há muitos meses, exausta, mas energizada.

Tinha chegado, como tantas vezes no passado, ao fim do dia, mas ainda a processar todas as interações que tinham ocorrido.

Foi aí que percebi que estava muito contente por estar de volta à loura e àquele ambiente aparentemente disfuncional, em que estás a responder a 3 miúdos ao mesmo tempo que geres um conflito entre outros dois e explicas as regras de um jogo a um terceiro grupo, enquanto o telefone toca e a tua colega tenta falar contigo…

Estava contente por estar de volta porque tinha mesmo saudades, mais do que me tinha dado conta. Estava contente porque apesar de não ser perfeito, apesar de odiar não se ver os sorrisos, não nos podermos abraçar, ou estar todos ao molho num cantinho, ainda nos temos uns aos outros e, quando tudo isto passar, estaremos ainda mais unidos.

 


No comments :