Monday, September 21, 2020

September 21st: World Gratitude Day / 21 de Setembro: Dia Mundial da Gratitude

 Note: Portuguese version below.


Growing I was always terrified of being ungrateful. I always knew I had it easier than a lot other people, but there were periods in my life I did struggle to focus on the good things.


I’m always trying to be 10 steps ahead, I’m always waiting for the other shoe to drop, I’m always trying to be perfect, to have everything under control, to reach higher and further, and along the way that perfectionism starts to cloud your judgment.


I always valued the good experiences in my life, the people that in the most unpredictable ways found their way into my life, and my heart, but I didn’t always handle it so gracefully went things came to an end before I was ready for it.


If people would leave my life before I was ready, I’d get angry, hurt, confused, I’d blame myself, and in what I thought was a self-preservation move, I’d try to diminish what I’d once felt for them, what they’d once meant to me.


I acted similar when it came to life experiences, I’d either get too attached to the past, unable to move on because I was constantly comparing what was new with what I had before, never really allowing myself to be fully open to a new start, or, once again, I’d diminish it’s importance so I could free myself from it.


It was only with time, that I slowly learned we can (and should) be grateful for something that we had, be extremely proud and fond of what happened and still move on to new and better experiences. It was only later in life that I realised that even the rough moments had led me to new learning, even if people might have left me or even disappoint me, I could still appreciate what we had lived together, I could still learn from those experiences. And not the way that a lot of people do, in the “I gave that person a chance and they let me down, so I’ve learned my lesson, and I will be more guarded from now on” way, because I don’t want to harden myself, I don’t want to walk around angry.


With time, I understood that even for myself preservation, it is much better to focus on the good, because when we do focus on it, there really is so much to be grateful for.


This year has been a weird one to say the least. It has been tough to lots of people, and obviously we all want things to back to “normal” as soon as possible, but personally it hasn’t been a wasted year. Month after month I have been able to see how much I have to be grateful for.


I’m grateful to have family and friends who despite physical distance make their presence felt. I’m grateful to have friends whose embrace is so warm and kind that social distancing from them is really hard. I’m grateful I’ve had some time to rest my mind, try new hobbies and shift some important mindsets. I’m grateful I found some truly inspirational people during this time, people who motivate me to be better, try harder and even, as hard as it is, believe in myself. I’m grateful to be starting a new job, with all of the challenges that that brings, to have a team who supports me and has so much to teach me. And last, but not least, I’m grateful that throughout this mess, I’ve not only been able to keep my mental sanity, but even I dare say it, improve it!

 

 

21 de Setembro: Dia Mundial da Gratitude

 

Sempre tive um medo tremendo de ser ingrata. Sempre tive noção que, comparativamente com muitas pessoas, levava uma vida livre de grandes preocupações, mas houve períodos que tive dificuldade em me focar nas coisas boas da vida.


Tento sempre estar 10 passos mais à frente, estou sempre à espera que algo de mau aconteça, estou sempre a tentar ser perfeita, ter tudo sob controlo, chegar mais alto e mais longe, e ao longo do tempo esse perfecionismo acaba por toldar o nosso julgamento.


Sempre valorizei as boas experiências que tive na vida, as pessoas que das formas mais improváveis foram surgindo na minha vida e no meu coração, mas nem sempre fui tão graciosa quando as coisas terminavam antes de eu estar preparada para isso.


Quando as pessoas desapareciam da minha vida (por uma razão ou por outra), ficava magoada, zangada, confusa, culpava-me, e no que eu achava ser uma ação de autopreservação, tentava diminuir o que tinha sentido por elas, o que tinham significado para mim.


Fazia o mesmo com as experiências de vida. Ou ficava demasiado agarrada ao passado, incapaz de seguir em frente porque estava constantemente a estabelecer comparações, nunca me permitindo estar realmente disponível para um novo começo, ou, mais uma vez tentava reduzir a sua importância, para me conseguir ver livre desse peso.


Foi só com o tempo que aos poucos fui aprendendo que podemos (e devemos) ser gratos pelas coisas que tivemos, ter um orgulho e um carinho desmedido por tudo o que vivemos, e ainda assim seguir em frente para novas e melhores experiências. Só mais tarde percebi que mesmo os momentos difíceis me levaram a novas aprendizagens, que só porque alguém me deixou ou até me desiludiu, isso não quer dizer que não possa dar valor ao que vivemos, aprender com isso. E não no sentido que muitas vezes as pessoas fazem, não no sentido de “dei uma oportunidade àquela pessoa e ela desiludiu-me, por isso aprendi a minha lição, e nunca mais vou dar oportunidades a ninguém”, porque não me quero endurecer, não quero andar neste mundo zangada.


Com o tempo percebi que até para a minha autopreservação é muito melhor focar-me no positivo, e a verdade é que quando o fazemos, há realmente tanto para estarmos gratos.


Este ano tem sido estranho (sim, é um eufemismo). Tem sido difícil para muitas pessoas, e obviamente queremos todos que isto passe depressa, mas pessoalmente não tem sido um ano desperdiçado. Mês após mês tenho feito essa reflexão e percebido o quanto tenho para estar grata.


Sou grata por ter família e amigos que apesar da distância física fazem sentir a sua presença. Grata por ter amigos cujo o abraço é tão quente e reconfortante que torna manter a distância social um verdadeiro desafio. Grata por ter tido tempo para descansar e reorganizar a minha mente, tentar novos hobbies e mudar alguns pontos estratégicos da minha mentalidade. Estou grata por ter encontrado, durante este período, pessoas verdadeiramente inspiradoras, que me motivam a ser melhor, a esforçar-me mais, a ser mais forte e até, por incrível que pareça, a acreditar em mim mesma. Estou grata por estar a começar um trabalho novo, com todos os desafios que isso implica, e por ter uma equipa que me apoia e que tem tanto para me ensinar. E por fim, mas não menos importante, estou grata por, nestes tempos atribulados, não só ter conseguido manter a minha sanidade mental, mas até, atrevo-me a dizê-lo, melhorá-la!


No comments :