Friday, March 27, 2020

Religion, destiny or free will? / Religião, destino ou livre arbítrio? (Day 6)


Note 1: While being quarantine, in an effort to try to prevent my brain to turn into mush I'll try to complete a 30 Day writing challenge. Each day I'll get a prompt about which I should write. 

Nota 2: versão portuguesa mais abaixo.


To me the answer is simple, not because I’m full of certainties, but because I’m just too skeptical, and I don’t have it in me to believe in a higher power. I don’t argue that for sure it doesn’t exist, in fact I don’t argue it at all, I’m just not able to believe it. I think faith - in destiny, God or in the stars - can have a positive impact in people’s lives. A lot of times, in the must excruciating times, it’s the only thing that gives them hope and a reason to keep living, so I don’t oppose to it. I think whatever works for people they should keep doing it, but personally I have a few problems with it…

To start, I have a very hard time believing in a higher power that allows children to die of hunger, people to be raped, women to be tortured because of their gender, homosexuals to be murdered because of their sexual orientation, innocents to be killed in name of God, just to name a few…  

Then, I have a problem with a system of believing that coerces people to act in a certain away, a system that encourages the following of its rules by fear of hell or karma or whatever else you want to call it (for it we already have something called “the law”).

Lastly, as it is, I already find it difficult to have a purpose in life, if everything is already written in the stars, if there’s a God that will push me in a certain path that He has chosen for me, then what am I really doing here? Am I anything other than a puppet? If everything is already mapped out, if all we can do is believe “everything happens for a reason” or “God will never give you more than you can handle”, than we’re just “victims” of this higher power. We have no saying, no choice. If that’s the truth than how does that prevent us to just accept we deserve all the bad things that life may throw at us, how does that empower us to be more, to make bold choices, to dare, to be better, to fight back?

I believe people should do what works for them, and I know a lot of people manage to find a nice balance between these two worlds, where they can have faith and still be incredible proactive, but I can’t and so I had to find what works for me.

And what that is is having faith in people, and if you can, better yet, have faith in yourself.

I need to make sense of things, and the only way I can (try to) make sense of this world is if I believe that my choices matter, if I believe that we pave our own life. Now I’m not naïve or egotistical enough to think that we can control every circumstance, in fact, I’m quite aware that there’re a lot of things we can’t control, but I chose to focus on the ones I can.  

I don’t want to believe that every person that is suffering deserves that suffering. I rather try to get involved, chose a cause, find or create initiatives that can help them overcome it.

I don’t want to live my life based on the interpretations that someone makes of a sacred book. I don’t want to live in fear of what may happen to me in the afterlife. In the same way, I don’t want to do good deeds just so I can build a positive credit of “good karma” that will eventually come back to me. I prefer to live my life following a set of values I believe, to the best of my ability, taking responsibility for my personal choices and actions, trying to keep my moral compass well calibrated, without fearing consequences or expecting rewards, just because it’s the right thing to do.

The truth is that I can’t justify why I get to live the life I have, had the chance to study, travel, be with my family, have a home, a safe workplace… while somewhere across the globe, a woman just like me, maybe even smarter, or stronger or more resilient, lives in no conditions, watches her family die, her life be destroyed… I can’t find it in me to believe in a higher power than can explain this, so the best I can do is try to make the most of the chance I have. I try not to let myself be defined by my fears, I try to work on myself to become a better person, I try to use my life to make a difference in any way that I can. And I choose to do it freely because it gives me purpose, because it’s the only way I can find to cope with a world I don’t understand.




Religião, destino ou livre arbítrio?


Nota 3: Enquanto estou em quarenta, e numa tentativa de impedir que o meu cérebro se transforme em papa vou tentar completar um desafio de escrita de 30 dias. Cada dia terá um tópico sobre o qual deverei escrever. 


Para mim a resposta é fácil. Não por estar cheia de certezas absolutas, simplesmente porque sou muito céptica e não tenho a capacidade de acreditar num poder divino. Não discuto que tenho a certeza que não existe, na verdade, não discuto de todo, simplesmente não sou capaz de acreditar. A fé – no destino, em Deus, nas estrelas – pode ter um impacto muito positivo na vida das pessoas. Muitas vezes, nas situações mais difíceis, é a única coisa que lhes dá esperança e força para continuar, por isso não me oponho a ela. Cada um deve seguir aquilo que funciona para si, mas eu pessoalmente tenho alguns problemas com a fé…

Para começar, é-me muito difícil acreditar num poder divino que permite crianças a morrer à fome, pessoas serem violadas, mulheres serem torturadas pelo seu género, homossexuais serem atacados pela sua orientação sexual, inocentes serem mortos em nome de Deus, só para nomear alguns…

Depois, também tenho um problema com um sistema de crença que força as pessoas a agir de forma, um sistema que encoraja o seguimento das suas regras pelo medo, medo do inferno, do Karma, ou de o que lhe quiserem chamar (para isso já temos uma coisa chamada “lei”).

Por fim, já tenho alguma dificuldade em encontrar um propósito para a vida, se já está tudo escrito nas estrelas, se há um Deus que me vai empurrar pelo caminho certo que Ele já escolheu, então o que é que estou aqui a fazer? Serei eu algo mais do que um fantoche? Se tudo já está decidido, se devemos acreditar que “tudo acontece por uma razão” ou que “Deus nunca te dá nada que não consigas aguentar”, então na verdade somos meramente vítimas desse poder divino. Não temos escolha. Se isso é verdade, então como é que isso nos impede de acreditar que merecemos tudo de mal que nos acontece na vida? Como é que isso nos empodera para nos tornarmos melhores, fazermos escolhas mais arriscadas?

Acredito que as pessoas devem fazer o que funciona para elas, e sei que há muitas pessoas que conseguem encontrar um equilíbrio saudável entre entes dois mundos – onde conseguem ter fé e ainda assim ser muito proactivas - mas eu não consigo, por isso tive de encontrar o que funciona para mim.

E o que funciona para mim é ter fé nas pessoas, e se possível, melhor ainda, ter fé em ti mesmo.

Preciso de arranjar um sentido para tudo, e a única forma que consigo de (tentar) arranjar um sentido para este mundo é se acreditar que as minhas escolhas importam, se acreditar que fomos nós que construímos o nosso próprio caminho. Não sou ingénua nem egocêntrica o suficiente para achar que controlamos todas as circunstâncias, aliás, estou bem ciente que há muito poucas coisas na vida que podemos controlar, mas eu escolho concentrar-me nas que consigo.

Não acredito que toda a gente que está a sofrer merece esse sofrimento. Em vez de aceitar isso, prefiro tentar envolver-me, escolher uma causa, encontrar ou criar iniciativas que as ajudem a ultrapassar os obstáculos.

Não quero que a minha vida se baseie nas interpretações que alguém faz de um livro sagrado. Não quero viver com medo do que me vai acontecer depois da morte. Nem tão pouco quero fazer boas acções meramente para ganhar crédito de karma positivo. Prefiro fazer a minha vida de acordo com um conjunto de valores em que acredito, o melhor que consiga, assumindo a responsabilidade das minhas escolhas e das minhas acções, tentando manter calibrada a minha bússola moral, sem temer consequências ou esperar recompensas, fazendo simplesmente o que acredito ser o mais certo.

A verdade é que não consigo justificar porque +e que eu tenho esta vida, onde tive oportunidade de estudar, viajar, ter uma casa, a minha família, um local de trabalho seguro… quando algures no outro lado do globo uma mulher igual a mim, talvez até mais inteligente, ou forte, ou resiliente, vive sem condições, vê a sua família morrer, a sua vida destruída… Não consigo acreditar num poder divino que justifique isto, o melhor que consigo fazer é tentar tirar máximo partido da oportunidade que tive. Tentar não deixar que os meus medos me definam, tentar constantemente tornar-me numa pessoa melhor, tentar usar a minha vida para marcar a diferença sempre que conseguir. E escolho fazê-lo livremente porque me dá um propósito, porque é a única forma que tenho de lidar com um mundo que não compreendo.

No comments :