Sunday, March 29, 2020

Moving back home / Regresso a casa (Day 8)

Note 1: While being quarantine, in an effort to try to prevent my brain to turn into mush I'll try to complete a 30 Day writing challenge. Each day I'll get a prompt about which I should write.

Nota 2: versão portuguesa mais abaixo.


I move out of home right after my 22nd birthday, and I didn’t just move houses, or cities, or even country… I moved away to a different continent.

My decision was received with surprised by most and though nobody really said it to my face, I imagine a few doubted I’d survive.

I spent the months prior to my departure trying to get myself ready and in the right mindset for such change. I read blogs and spoke to advisors about the challenges of embracing a new house, a new country and a new culture. To be fair there was a lot information about the possibility of cultural shock. I was told once the excitement of the first days passed by, I was likely to feel homesick, lonely, depressed…

The first week came and went, followed by the first month, and I kept waiting for that wave to hit me. Eventually a year had gone by and I realized I never really experienced the so feared cultural shock.

When the time come to return home, I was happy to finally get to see my friends and family again, but what I didn’t anticipated was how hard it would be to readjust to moving back home.

There had been a lot of talk about the struggles of adjusting to a new country/culture, but absolutely no-one had advised me about the reverse and to me, the real struggle was to move back.

The first week was easy, meeting everyone, hugging all my friends, but as soon as that magic was gone, I was lost. I half way expected to have a hard time finding my place because people had moved on, I didn’t feel that the world had kept moving without me, what I felt was that I had kept moving without them. It was in that moment that I realized how much I had changed and how these people were completely unaware of it.

In my experience abroad I had found myself, I’d revalidated some impressions of my character and challenged others, I had evolved, I had grown… and suddenly I was back in a place where people expected me to be the same person I was before all that.


Moving back home was hard because you start wondering if it was just all pretend, if you can continue to be this new improved version of yourself or if you’ll just fall back into old habits. It takes times to adjust, to redefine yourself once again, to find a comfortable middle ground. 


Before
After













Regresso a casa


Nota 3: Enquanto estou em quarenta, e numa tentativa de impedir que o meu cérebro se transforme em papa vou tentar completar um desafio de escrita de 30 dias. Cada dia terá um tópico sobre o qual deverei escrever.


Sai de casa dos meus pais logo após o meu 22º aniversário, e não mudei apenas de casa ou de cidade, nem sequer apenas de país… mudei-me para um continente diferente.

A minha decisão foi recebida com surpresa pela maioria, e embora ninguém me tenha dito directamente, imagino que muitos tenham duvidado que iria sobreviver.

Passei os meses que anteciparam a minha partida a tentar preparar-me para tamanha mudança. Li muitos blogs e falei com conselheiros sobre os desafios que iria encontrar, uma nova casa, um novo país, uma cultura diferente. Havia muita informação disponível sobre o tema de choque cultural, e fui informada que assim que passasse a excitação dos primeiros dias, era provável que sentisse saudades de casa, solidão, e até um pouco deprimida…

A primeira semana passou num instante, seguida do primeiro mês, e eu continuava à espera de ser assolada para toda essa negatividade que me tinham antecipado. O tempo foi passando e quando dei por mim já tinha passado um ano sem que eu nunca sofresse dos tais sintomas do choque cultural.

Na fase de preparação falaram-me muito das dificuldades que ia ter em me adaptar a um novo país/cultura, o que ninguém me avisou é que tudo isso podia acontecer no regresso a casa, onde realmente tive muitas dificuldades.

A primeira semana foi tranquila, reencontrar amigos e família, sempre com programa marcado, mas assim que essa magia passou, fiquei perdida. De certa forma esperava algumas dificuldades pois antecipava que as pessoas tivessem seguido com as suas vidas enquanto eu não estava, mas o que senti não foi que o mundo tinha continuado a girar sem mim, o que senti foi que eu tinha continuado a mexer-me sem ele. Naquele momento percebi tudo o quanto eu tinha mudado e como as pessoas que sempre me conheceram não faziam a mínima ideia disso.

Na minha experiência lá fora encontrei-me, revalidei alguns traços da minha personalidade, desafiei outros, evolui, cresci… e de repente estava de volta ao local de origem onde as pessoas esperavam que fosse a mesma pessoa que era antes de partir.


Regressar a casa foi difícil porque acabas por duvidar se foi tudo uma fantasia, se é realmente essa nova versão de ti mesmo, ou se vais acabar por ceder ao contexto e voltar a ser quem eras. É preciso tempo para ajustar, para te redefinires uma vez mais e encontrares um equilíbrio confortável. 

No comments :