Saturday, May 07, 2016

Fairytales / Contos de Fadas [edited]

Nota: Versão portuguesa mais abaixo


"Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed” by G.K. Chesterton


When we are young we lose ourselves in fairytales. We let our minds travel through the stories, we imagine ourselves battling the enemies, overcoming the challenges and even dare to face the worst demons, because we know that in the end Good always trumps Evil.
As we grow older we realize that things aren’t always black and white, that the world is not exactly a fair place and that goodness doesn’t necessarily wins. We convince ourselves that we don’t need fairytales anymore, because they’re not real, because they aren’t always true.
With time we may let go of fairytales, but do we ever let go of the need for reassurance that Good trumps Evil?
How many of us long to get home after a hard day of work to curl up on the couch with a good movie, TV series or book? And how many of those stories are, at least to some degree, about good vs evil, about prevailing in the face of danger, about having someone able to rise up and save the day?
We don’t watch fiction about serial killers or ER surgeons because we don’t have enough drama in the news. We don’t read thrillers because we have an unhealthy obsession with the macabre. We do it because apart from the pain and suffering, what those stories have in common is that, at least most of the times, there’s a happy ending. We do it because regardless of what we say, we still need the comfort of believing that Good will trump Evil, that it’s possible to survive when the odds are against us and that good people get happy endings. We follow stories about extraordinary Special Agents and Godlike doctors because though we may not see it, believing even in the possibility of people like this truly existing makes us somehow feel safer. Knowing that there might be someone out there watching out for us, not a higher power or unseen entity, but someone with a pulse, with a face, even if the face we associate it with is not real, brings us comfort.
We don’t follow painful stories because we take pleasure in inflicting pain into our lives, we do it because when the world shows us its worst, we need to believe in real life heroes. And whether we like to admit it or not, just as much as when we were children, it still helps to believe in fairytales.
We live in an uncertain world and the challenge is to find ways to accept it as it is without getting depressed. I find that quite often, fiction is one of the only coping mechanisms that does the trick for me.
I understand that taking in all the magic of fictional stories without reflection can be dangerous. Anything done without reflection can. However, for me that’s part of its charm. I don’t like fiction just because of the happy endings, I like it because it shows us different possibilities. It makes me travel to impossible scenarios, confront my ethical values, imagine what I would do if I was ever faced with the same situation. Even if realistically, I know that will never happen. Even if I do it from the comfort of my couch.
T.V. and movies are different nowadays. Even fairytales for children are not all about the damsel in distress waiting to be saved by prince charming anymore. They are about strong characters who struggle and rise to the occasion. Always with the help of others of course, because we can’t change the world alone, but the point is… they are not passive, they have a voice, a say. And maybe more than believe that there’s someone out there looking out for us, what I truly want to believe, is that I can be the change I want to see.
What is great about (good) fiction today is that heroes are not perfect anymore, they’re flawed. And you’d think that’s a depressing thought, that even heroes fail, but it’s not. It’s the opposite of depressing. There’s a relief in it. Because if even heroes make mistakes, we can relinquish the need for perfection.
One has to be careful with disappointment though. 
I personally had a hard time coming out of my childhood. Maybe I did watch too many fairytales. I was too naïve, I believed too much. I lived inside the pretty pink bobble, and one day for no apparent reason or warning the bobble just popped. I remember suddenly realizing that the world was not as I thought it was, that no-one was who I thought they were and I was crushed, The more I learned the more disappointed I would get. Because I was (am) a perfectionist, because I didn’t believe in grey areas, because I thought people were good or bad. I went from one extreme to the other. From believing in everything to trusting no-one. And like in everything else… extremes are dangerous.
I think that’s when I started looking into myself, when I started questioning everything, because I’m a rational person and I just wanted to understand.
I read somewhere that "Real life is absurd, so we write fiction to make sense of it" and I think that’s true… it doesn’t necessarily has to be my writing though. I enjoy fiction because even though I realize the characters are not real, I always think about who’s behind them. The person that came up with the storylines, the thoughts, the dialogues. And it reassures me that there are other people with the same questions, thinking, reflecting about all those things.
Through fiction I empathized with people I never thought I would. Through complex, multidimensional characters I learned that no action is independent, that there’s always a chain of events we have to be aware of, that there are always two sides of a story. I’ve learned to accept that good people make mistakes and that doesn’t make them bad, it simply makes them human. These storylines took me through journeys with characters that had to face more challenges than anyone will in a lifetime, but still managed to pull through. I learned that trying to do the right thing is not always an easy call, but you should do it regardless. I learned that even if it physically pains you and you constantly worry about the uncertainties of the future, you can’t settle. And I find that inspiring.
I’m aware that there are so many incredible stories about real men and women out there. And maybe we should be inspired by those, but why not be inspired by both?
I do see how fiction can give people a false sense of comfort. I do realize that I put way too much thought on it. I know that for most people the story is over when the screen fades or they close the book, but I still want to believe that maybe something will rattle them.
There is as much Good in the world as there is Evil. I look back in History, I watch the news and it truly gets me sick to my stomach knowing the things that human beings can do to each other. But then I also remember that there are others out there risking everything they have for people they never met, that do the right thing even when it’s hard, without expecting anything in return. And maybe it’s selfish, but for my sanity, I have to choose to remember those. Because those are the ones who give us hope. I can’t aim to end Evil in the world, but I can aim to be part of its Goodness. And what fiction does for me, is to remind me that people like this do exist. We may not always see them, but they are there.


::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


“Os contos de fadas não dizem às crianças que os dragões existem. As crianças já sabem que os dragões existem. Os contos de fadas dizem às crianças que os dragões podem ser derrotados” por G.K. Chesterton


Quando somos pequenos perdemo-nos em contos de fadas. Deixamos a nossa mente viajar pelas histórias, imaginamo-nos a combater os inimigos, a ultrapassar os desafios e até nos atrevemos a enfrentar os demónios mais terríveis, porque sabemos que no fim o Bem derrota sempre o Mal.
À medida que crescemos vamos percebendo que as coisas nem sempre são preto no branco, que o mundo não é um lugar justo e que a bondade nem sempre prevalece. Convencemo-nos que já não precisamos de contos de fadas, porque não são reais, porque nem sempre são verdade.
Com o tempo podemos perder o interesse em contos de fadas, mas será que alguma vez perdemos a necessidade de saber que o Bem vence o Mal?
Quantos de nós, após um longo dia de trabalho não desejamos uma noite no sofá com um bom filme, série ou livro? E quantas dessas histórias são, pelo menos de alguma forma, sobre Bem vs Mal, sobre triunfar face ao perigo, sobre ter alguém capaz de se superar e salvar o dia?
Não vemos séries sobre assassinos em série e serviços de urgência porque não temos drama suficiente nos noticiários. Não lemos policiais porque temos uma obsessão obscura com o macabro. Fazemo-lo porque para além da dor e do sofrimento, o que todas essas histórias têm em comum é que, pelo menos a maior parte, tem um final feliz. Fazemo-lo porque, independentemente do que dizemos, ainda precisamos dessa confirmação que o Bem vence o Mal, que é possível sobreviver quando as probabilidades estão contra nós e que boas pessoas têm finais felizes. Seguimos histórias sobre Agentes Especiais extraordinários e cirurgiões excepcionais porque embora possamos não nos aperceber, acreditar na mera possibilidade de existirem pessoas assim faz-nos sentir mais seguros. Saber que pode haver alguém no mundo disposto a nos proteger, não um poder maior ou uma entidade oculta, mas alguém com um pulso, com uma cara, ainda que a cara que lhe associemos não seja real, conforta-nos.
Não seguimos histórias dramáticas porque gostamos de infligir sofrimento na nossa vida, fazemo-lo porque quando o mundo nos mostra o seu lado mais escuro precisamos de acreditar em heróis da vida real. E quer queiramos admiti-lo ou não, tal como quando éramos crianças, ainda ajuda acreditar em contos de fadas.
Vivemos num mundo de incerto, e o desafio é encontrar maneiras de aceitá-lo como é sem no deprimirmos. Muitas vezes, a ficção é um dos poucos métodos de funciona comigo.
Concordo que absorver toda a magia de histórias fictícias sem reflexão pode ser perigoso. Qualquer coisa feita sem reflexão é. Contudo, para mim isso faz parte do seu charme. Não gosto de ficção apenas pelos finais felizes, gosto porque me mostra diferentes perspectivas, Transporta-me para cenários improváveis, faz-me confrontar a minha ética, imaginar o que faria se estivesse nessa mesma situação. Ainda que realisticamente saiba que isso nunca vai acontecer. Ainda que o faça a partir do conforto do meu sofá.
A televisão e os filmes estão diferentes hoje em dia. Até mesmo os contos de fadas para crianças já não são focados na donzela indefesa à espera de um príncipe encantado para a salvar, mas sim sobre personagens fortes, que lutam para ultrapassar os obstáculos, sempre com a ajuda de alguém é verdade, até porque não podemos mudar o mundo sozinhos, mas o importante é que não são passivas, têm uma voz, uma mensagem. E se calhar mais do que acreditar que existe alguém que me pode salvar, o que quero realmente acreditar é que posso ser eu a criar a mudança que quero ver.
O que é fantástico na (boa) ficção de hoje em dia é que os heróis já não são perfeitos, têm defeitos. E seria de pensar que isso é um pensamento depressivo, que até os heróis falham, mas não é. É exactamente o oposto. Há um alívio. Porque se até os heróis cometem erros, então podemos finalmente abandonar a ideia de perfeição.
No entanto, é preciso ter cuidado com as desilusões.
Pessoalmente a transição da infância para a vida adulta foi difícil para mim. Se calhar assisti a demasiados contos de fadas. Era demasiado ingénua, acreditava demais. Vivia dentro de uma bolha perfeita, e um dia, sem aviso ou razão aparente, a bolha rebentou. Lembro-me de de repente me aperceber que o mundo não era como eu achava que ele era, que já ninguém era quem eu achava que eram, e fiquei devastada. Quanto mais descobria mais me desiludida. Porque era (sou) perfeccionista, porque acreditava que era tudo preto ou branco, porque pensava que as pessoas eram boas ou más. Fui de um extremo ao outro. Passei de acreditar em tudo a não confiar em ninguém. E como em tudo na vida… os extremos são perigosos.
Acho que foi nessa altura que comecei a olhar para dentro de mim, quando comecei a questionar tudo e todos, porque sou uma pessoa racional, e só queria perceber.
Li algures que “A vida real é absurda, por isso escrevemos ficção para fazer sentido dela”, e penso que é verdade… não tem necessariamente de ser algo que eu escrevo, mas ficção em geral. Gosto de ficção porque apesar de saber que as personagens não são reais, penso sempre nas pessoas que estão por detrás delas. Em quem criou a narrativa, os pensamentos, os diálogos. Isso assegura-me que há outras pessoas no mundo que têm as mesmas perguntas, que pensam e reflectem sobre as mesmas coisas.
Através da ficção empatizei com pessoas com quem nunca pensei sentir empatia. Através de personagens complexas e multidimensionais aprendi que nenhuma acção é independente, que há sempre uma cadeia de eventos que temos de perceber, que existem sempre dois lados da mesma história. Aprendi a aceitar que pessoas boas cometem erros, e que isso não faz delas pessoas más, simplesmente seres humanos. Estas histórias conduziram-me por viagens com personagens que tiveram de enfrentar mais desafios do alguém terá de fazer na vida real, e ainda assim conseguiram sobreviver. Aprendi que tentar fazer o que está certo nem sempre é uma decisão fácil, mas que devemos tentar fazê-lo mesmo assim. Aprendi que ainda que fisicamente nos magoe, e que constantemente nos faça duvidar sobre as incertezas do futuro, não nos podemos acomodar. E tudo isso me inspira.
Estou consciente que há imensas histórias incríveis de homens e mulheres reais. E talvez devêssemos ser inspirados por essas, mas porque não sermos inspirados por ambas?
Admito que a ficção pode transmitir uma falsa sensação de conforto. Tenho noção que perco demasiado tempo a pensar nestas questões e que para a maioria das pessoas a história termina com o fim do episódio ou com o virar da página, mas ainda assim quero acreditar que a ficção possa agitar algo dentro delas.

Existe tanto Bem como Mal neste mundo. Olho para a história do mundo, vejo as notícias e fico mal disposta com as coisas que um ser humano pode fazer a outro. Mas depois também me lembro que existem pessoas capazes de arriscar a sua vida por quem não conhecem, de fazer o que está certo mesmo quando é difícil, sem esperar nada em troca. E provavelmente é egoísta, mas para a minha sanidade mental, são esses que escolho recordar. Porque são esses que nos dão esperança. Não tenho poder para acabar com o Mal no mundo, mas posso fazer parte do seu lado Bom. E é isso que a ficção faz por mim, lembra-me que pessoas assim existem. Nem sempre são visíveis, mas estão lá. 

No comments :