Friday, January 27, 2012

Let me be


“I’ve just spoke to your teacher.”
“What did she say?” – Laura asked.
“She said that you’re doing great.”
“I am” – Laura agreed.
“She told me you’ve picked up in school, that you’re grades are great” – Lilly said.
Laura nodded with a smile.
“She said that you’ve seem to have overcome what happened very naturally, that you seem peaceful and calm.” – Lilly continued.
“See sis? I told you I was okay.”
“Yeah, you did” – Lilly concurred – “She also told me that you’ve reach out to Sam…” - she added.
“Well” – Laura gasped - “I will, I didn’t have to time yet but…”
“And that you’ve joined a new team…” – Lilly continued.
“I…” – Laura sighted caught in her own lies, not knowing what to say.
“Look, I don't mind that you lie to your teacher. I don’t care that you lie to everybody, and try to convince them you're okay.” – Lilly told her.
“But I am!” – Laura promised.
“You’ve completed every homework you had until the end of the year. You’ve read every book and watched every movie we had available at home. You’ve already cleaned the apartment twice this week and not once you’ve ask help to do it. You’ve been to every one of my dance classes and did not miss one party or gathering this month.” – Lilly listed.
“So, I’ve organized myself. I’m a good sister and I like to hang out with my friends. Why are you making it sound like a bad thing?”
“You’ve been overworking, overstudying, overhelping, overpartying…” – Lilly stated
“C’mon…”
“Listen, I’m not here to lecture you.” – Lilly guaranteed – “I just want you to promise me something.” – she added.
Laura waited for her to continue.
“You may go weeks, months even, believing that you're fine, deceiving yourself. You'll start to believe that is all good, that you've regain control. And then you'll have a bad day...” – Lilly said.
Laura was about to deny it when Lilly concluded – “Just let me know when you do.”
“I will.” – Laura promised, happy that for once someone was not trying to force her to be okay – “I will.”

No comments :