Friday, December 30, 2022

The beauty of traveling / A beleza de viajar

Nota: Versão portuguesa mais abaixo


When I first had the chance to travel abroad, I was too young to realize how privileged I was, even if, from the very beginning, I fell in love with it.

It was by the age of 12, after traveling without my family for the first time, that I knew for sure traveling was something I wanted to continue doing. I got lost on my very first day, I didn’t speak English, and yet it was such an incredible experience, that it gave me a purpose to work towards to.

Timing might have had something to do with it, that trip happened right before my personality changed, back when I was still fearless and brighter, and so I managed to take full advantage of the experience, I met a lot of people, I tried new things, I had a lot of fun.

When I finally saved enough to travelled again, I was eager to see everything and do everything. I’d go to every museum, every thematic park and attraction, just rush from one thing to another. I wanted to visit every country.  I did visit quite a few, and there hasn’t been a place that I regret visiting, but as I grew older and collected more experiences the more I realized that what I really enjoyed was spending time getting to know the culture, observing people, asking questions, trying to learn the customs. I noticed that when I was not traveling what I really missed were the people.

I recently had the opportunity to be abroad for almost a full month, and while doing so I spent time with 4 different, multicultural, families. These were all people that I knew fairly well, but maybe because of the mindset I’m now, or because I wasn’t rushing anywhere, it was such an enriching experience.

Having the opportunity to observe and have long, deep, conversations with these people, women in particular, all in different stages of their life, was so enlightening for me that I have been trying to put it in words for the past few weeks without any success.

The women I spent time with, who all have different backgrounds, who all came into my life in a very specific and unique way, who all choose very different paths in life, aged between the late 40’s and early 70’s and despite the age gap between us, there was such much we could relate to.

It was so interesting to see how despite cultural differences so much is expected from women across the board. So interesting to see how we are so conditioned by society to take on so much that often we are the ones, unconsciously, refusing any help regardless how overwhelmed we are. But perhaps what was most interesting to see, is that everyone is on their own journey. I used to long for the time, the age, when all my life would be settle and I’d have everything figured out, but as I grow older, I realize the people I’m drawn to, the people I find more inspiring are the ones who don’t settle, the ones who keep evolving, the ones who have doubts and struggles, but keep showing up and being kind and doing something good for others.

In the rush of everyday life we’re so often on autopilot that we don’t have the time to properly talk to those around you, we live side by side with people we love and yet there’s so much we don’t know about what goes inside them (and vice-versa). This trip was probably the one where I visited less things, where I spent more time at home, and yet, it was one of the best I had. I enjoyed each walk where we had long talks about the future, each sat down where we shared experiences about personality changes and anxiety, the late evenings talking about parenthood, the inspiration I took from each families’ traditions, and even the nights I spent in silence sitting next to the friend who (hopefully) momentarily has lost her spark. Just being there with these people, soaking up their knowledge, learning from their journeys, feeling their love…

The world is often a scary place, but traveling is a good reminder that good people are everywhere. They come in different shapes and forms, they live all kinds of different lives and go through different obstacles, but they are real.

I used to think I was privileged because I got to see the world, now I know I’m privileged because I get to go to places where I meet people like these.

 

 A beleza de viajar 


Quando tive oportunidade de viajar pela primeira vez para o estrangeiro, era demasiado miúda para perceber o privilégio que isso era, apesar de, desde o primeiro momento me ter apaixonado por viagens.

Foi aos 12 anos, depois de viajar pela primeira vez sem a minha família, que tive a certeza que queria continuar a fazê-lo. Nessa viagem perdi-me no primeiro dia, não sabia falar nada de inglês, e ainda assim foi uma experiência tão incrível que se tornou um objetivo a alcançar.

O timing também terá sido importante, essa viagem aconteceu exatamente antes da minha mudança de personalidade, quando ainda era destemida e solta, e por isso consegui aproveitá-la em pleno – conheci imensas pessoas, experimentei coisas novas e diverti-me muito.

Quando finalmente consegui juntar dinheiro para viajar novamente estava ansiosa para ver e fazer tudo. Ia a todos os museus, visitava todos os partes temáticos, todas as atrações, numa correria estonteante. Queria visitar todos os países do munto. Visitei bastantes, e não me arrependo de nenhum, mas à medida que o tempo foi passando, e que fui colecionando mais experiências fui percebendo que o que realmente me preenchia nas viagens era passar tempo a conhecer a cultura, a observar as pessoas, a fazer perguntas a perceber os costumes. Percebi que o que sentia falta quando não estava a viajar, era das pessoas.

Recentemente tive a oportunidade de viajar para o estrangeiro durante cerca de um mês, e durante essa viagem passar tempo com 4 famílias, todas elas muito diferentes e multiculturais. Era tudo pessoas que eu já conhecia, mas talvez por ir com uma atitude diferente, ou por não estar a correr, foi uma experiência super enriquecedora.

Ter a oportunidade de observar e ter longas e profundas conversas com estas pessoas, mulheres em particular, todas em diferentes fases das suas vidas, foi tão esclarecedor para mim, que desde que cheguei que tenho tentado, sem sucesso, pôr em palavras o que vivi.

As mulheres com quem estive, que apareceram na minha vida de forma única, todas com passados muito diferentes, que seguiram caminhos muito distintos, estavam entre os 40 e muitos e os 70 anos de idade, e apesar da diferença de idades, havia tanto em comum entre nós.

Foi muito interessante perceber como, apesar das diferenças culturais, de forma geral tanto é exigido das mulheres. Foi muito interessante perceber que somos tão condicionadas pela sociedade para assumir tudo que muitas vezes somos nós, de forma inconsciente, a recusar a ajuda que tanto precisamos. Mas talvez o mais interessante de perceber é que toda a gente está a fazer o seu próprio caminho. Costumava ansiar pela idade e que a minha vida estivesse resolvida e orientada, mas à medida que envelheço percebo que as pessoas que me atraem, que mais me inspiram são as que não se acomodam, as que continuam a evoluir, as que têm dúvidas e lutas internas, mas ainda assim continuam a tentar, a ser gentis, a fazer algo em prol dos outros.

Na corrida do dia-a-dia estamos tantas vezes em piloto automático que não temos tempo para conversar devidamente com as pessoas à nossa volta. Vivemos lado a lado com as pessoas que amamos, sem muitas vezes sabermos o que se passa dentro das suas cabeças (e vice-versa). Esta viagem foi provavelmente aquela em que visitei menos coisas, em que passei mais tempo em casa, e ainda assim foi uma das melhores que já fiz. Adorei cada longo passeio em que falámos do futuro, os momentos em que partilhámos mudanças de personalidade e ansiedade, as noites tardias a discutir parentalidade, a inspiração que retirei de cada tradição familiar, e até as noites passadas em silêncio junto daquela pessoa que (esperamos que) momentaneamente perdeu o seu brilho. Estar lá, presente, partilhar o mesmo espaço com estas pessoas, absorver a sua sabedoria, aprender com as suas histórias de vida, sentir o seu amor…

O mundo é muitas vezes um lugar assustador, mas viajar pode ser uma forma de nos lembrarmos que existem pessoas boas em todo o lado. Vêm em diferentes formas e tamanhos, vivem diferentes estilos de vida, e ultrapassam diferentes obstáculos, mas são reais.

Pensava que era privilegiada por poder conhecer o mundo, agora sei que sou privilegiada por ir a sítios onde encontro pessoas assim.

1 comment :

Anne E Tromp said...

Spending time with you is always a delightful gift. Love you xxx