Monday, April 20, 2020

Write about something you don’t understand / Escreve sobre algo que não compreendes (Dia 26)


Note 1: While being quarantine, in an effort to try to prevent my brain to turn into mush I'll try to complete a 30 Day writing challenge. Each day I'll get a prompt about which I should write.

Nota 2: versão portuguesa mais abaixo.


There’s one thing that I don’t understand, that actually influences a lot of choices in my life, from the books I read to the shows I watch, and it is the ability, human beings, have to intentionally hurt other people and (often) feel that they’re actions are justified.

Although I’m not at all violent, I have noticed that I do tend to lean towards books/movies/shows about crime and violence. I’m not necessarily attracted to the gruesome or bloody, but I do go for the storytelling of how and why people do what they do. I enjoy trying to understand the psychological side of it, I think in a naïve way, it makes me feel in control.

In reality though, no matter how many books I read about psychopaths, shows I watch about sexual predators or movies I see about discrimination, I’m aware I will never understand what motivates people to hurt one another, even less when they do it in masses, generalizing their anger against whole communities.

I can, to a certain degree, understand hating one specific person. I don’t think I will ever feel it to the point of wanting to hurt them, but again, to a certain degree I can get it, but to hate ALL women, ALL blacks, ALL refugees, ALL homosexual? I just don’t get it.

Anything related to discrimination, for me is a hard concept to grasp, the idea that one is inferior due to their biology or some personal characteristic is just something that doesn’t make sense to me, however, when it comes to some types of discrimination I can manage to have an open conversation with someone with a different opinion, I can manage to calmly and rationally explain my point of views. When it comes to racism, however, things are very different.

There’s not a lot in this world that pushes my buttons or rattles my (apparent) poise, but racism sure does it. I can’t explain exactly why because, in all fairness, racism is just as disgusting as any of the other forms of discrimination, and I’ve been privileged never to have been directly affected by it, but it’s something I can’t tolerate, to the point where most times I don’t even engage in such conversations. And this is a problem.

I was speaking to one of my closest friends the other day, we were talking about “disguised” racism, which I think is the most common here at the moment. She (who is black) was telling me about a comment that someone had made about her or black people (I can’t remember), and that her boyfriend (white) refuted, he tried to educate people about it, while she just stayed quiet. She was telling me that in a lot of situation she makes the choice to let it go, because she can’t even begin to explain to people why it is wrong. And I was sharing with her that often I do the same, that I can engage in a healthy discussion about pretty much anything, but that I can’t do it when it comes to racism, and that because of that a lot of times I refrain from speaking up, which frustrates me, because that’s the wrong thing to do.

People need to hear that racism is wrong, more than that, it needs to be brough to their attention that a lot of things they say/do are racist, even if they don’t realize it.  Which brings me back to what I mentioned before - “disguised” racism. This is basically when people are racists and don’t even know it. Like anything, there are different levels of racism, and just because you are not beating up black people or gypsies, doesn’t mean that you are not racist. Comments like “he’s so cute for a black baby…”, “he was a hard worker, even though he was African…”, “they’re gypsies, but they’re very honest…”, are just a few examples of things we hear every day from people that would never considered themselves as racists, but whose comments are in fact racists.

Interestingly enough, I find that often, people who are too concerned about using the sociably acceptable forms, are the ones that later in their speeches make racists remarks without noticing it. Obviously, language matters, but not unless your actions match it.

We see it so often, people being so uncomfortable, trying to find the right way to say something, hesitating from “back”, to “African American”, it shouldn’t be that difficult. And I guarantee you, that if the message is right, most people won’t care which one you chose. From my experience, people care much more about the intention behind the word, than the word itself.

I’m white, so I can’t speak first hand, but I do have black siblings and cousins, I have black friends and I work closely with the black youth, and what I get from all of them is that it’s all in the way people use their words. I’ve seen some feel offended by someone who used the “correct” form, because the tone behind it was full of judgment, and I’ve seen them being completely fine with someone who used a less formal word, and yet was respectful. People are sometimes so focused in being politically correct, that they forget about the rest.

Something else that troubles me about racism is how, unlike other causes that are now gaining more visibility, such as women’s and LGBTQ+ rights, there’s this common assumption for a lot of people, that racism is over. We fortunately live in a country (Portugal) where, in general, racism is not acceptable and where most people won’t openly come out and say they are racists, but just because it’s not in the open, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. And some people, people who are white and never had to deal with it, claim that it doesn’t exist. That bothers me to different degrees, but maybe the more important is, how can someone who doesn’t belong to a minority claim with such certainty that racism doesn’t exist? How can someone be so arrogant that, just because they don’t feel/see it, argue with others who have to live through it every day, that it doesn’t exist?

Obviously, as a white woman, living in Portugal, I will never feel racism on the same level that my siblings, my friends or my kids do, but that doesn’t mean I don’t recognize its existence. In fact, that only means that I want to be more aware of my surroundings, I want to pay attention to the interactions I observe, because as it doesn’t affect me directly, it’s easy to be oblivious to it, and that’s something I do not want for me.

To deny that racism exists is for me the biggest problem, because you can’t fix a problem you don’t admit is there. Which brings me back to the beginning of this post, which is, why it is so important for us to talk about this, and why it frustrates me so much when I can’t hold a proper conversation about this, because no matter how infuriating or impossible it is for me to understand where someone racist is coming from, it’s only by discussing it, by educating people, that we can change mentalities. Keeping our arguments inside, ignoring certain comments or actions, isn’t helpful for anyone, we need to raise awareness, we need to help people think about what they’re saying, how they’re acting, even if it’s hard to establish rapport with someone that thinks so differently of us.  


I’ve always had trouble with things I do not understand. I feel frustrated, exasperated and impotent, I lose any interest in a discussion, I feel like shouting and crying and in reverse I simply I shut down, but that can’t happen. Not when it comes to this. So that’s something I’ve been trying to work on when it comes to myself, I’m trying to be more assertive when it comes to topics that really matter to me, because shutting out is childish and, not only it doesn’t help anyone, it makes me very angry at myself for not doing anything. 



Algo que não compreendes


Nota 3: Enquanto estou em quarenta, e numa tentativa de impedir que o meu cérebro se transforme em papa vou tentar completar um desafio de escrita de 30 dias. Cada dia terá um tópico sobre o qual deverei escrever.



Há uma coisa que não compreendo, e que influencia muitas das escolhas que faço no dia-a-dia, desde os livros que leio às séries que vejo, e é a capacidade do ser humano de, intencionalmente, fazer mal aos outros e, muitas vezes sentir que as suas ações são justificáveis.

Apesar de não ser violenta, de todo, tenho uma certa inclinação para escolher livros/séries/filmes sobre crime e violência. Não necessariamente coisas muito visuais, sangrentas, mais no sentido de histórias que tentem aprofundar o como e o porquê das pessoas cometerem certas atrocidades. Gosto de tentar perceber o lado psicológico dos crimes, acho que de uma maneira ingénua me dá uma (falsa) sensação de controlo.

Na realidade, no entanto, por mais livros que leia sobre psicopatas, séries que veja sobre predadores sexuais, ou filmes que veja sobre discriminação, estou consciente que jamais vou perceber o que motiva uma pessoa a fazer mal a outra, mais ainda, quando isso acontece em massa, ou seja, quando se generaliza um ódio a uma comunidade inteira.

Consigo, até certo ponto, perceber que se odeie uma pessoa. Acho que nunca vou senti-lo ao ponto de lhe querer fazer mal, mas até certo ponto consigo percebê-lo, mas odiar TODAS as mulheres, TODOS os pretos, TODOS os refugiados, TODOS os homossexuais? Não percebo…

Tudo o que está relacionado com discriminação, para mim é difícil de compreender, a ideia de que uma pessoa é inferior por causa da sua biologia ou características pessoais, é algo que para mim não faz sentido. Ainda assim, há alguns tipos de discriminação sobre os quais eu consigo ter uma conversa articulada com alguém que tenha uma opinião diferente da minha, que consigo partilhar o meu ponto de vista de forma calma e racional. No entanto, quando se trata de racismo, as coisas são muito diferentes.

Não há muita coisa no mundo que me irrite ao ponto de perder a postura, mas o racismo é uma delas. Não consigo explicar exactamente o porquê, porque sejamos justos, o racismo é tão horrível como qualquer outra forma de discriminação, mas é algo que não consigo tolerar, ao ponto de muitas vezes evitar participar em discussões sobre o tema. E isso é um problema.

No outro dia estava a falar com uma amiga, estávamos a falar sobre o racismo “disfarçado”, que eu penso que talvez seja o mais comum aqui em Portugal neste momento. Ela, que é preta, estava-me a contar sobre um comentário que alguém tinha feito sobre ela, ou sobre os pretos no geral (não me lembro), e que o namorado dela (branco) se tinha oposto, e tinha tentado educar as pessoas sobre o assunto, enquanto ela por sua vez escolheu ficar calada. Disse-me que muitas vezes essa era a escolha que fazia, não dizer nada, porque nem sabia como começar a explicar às pessoas que estavam erradas. Partilhei com ela que muitas vezes faço o mesmo, que consigo ter discussões saudáveis sobre praticamente qualquer tema, menos racismo, e que por isso, muitas vezes evitava falar nisso, o que me deixa muito frustrada, porque isso é o pior que podemos fazer.

As pessoas precisam de ouvir que o racismo é errado, mais do que isso, precisam de ser alertadas para o facto de muitas coisas que dizem/fazem serem racistas, porque às vezes nem se apercebem. O que me traz de volta ao que mencionei antes – o racismo “disfarçado”. O racismo “disfarçado” é basicamente quando as pessoas são racistas e nem sequer se apercebem. Tal como em tudo, há diferentes níveis de racismo, e só porque uma pessoa não anda a espancar pretos ou ciganos, não quer dizer que não seja racista. Comentários como “é preto mas até é bonitinho…”, “ele era bom trabalhador apesar de ser africano…”, “são ciganos, mas são muito honestos…”, são só alguns exemplos de comentários que ouvimos todos os dias de pessoas que nunca se considerariam racistas, mas que fazem comentários que na verdade o são.

É interessante que muitas vezes as pessoas que estão demasiado preocupadas em utilizar os termos socialmente aceites, são aquelas que depois durante os seus discursos acabam por fazem comentários racistas sem se aperceberem. Obviamente, a linguagem interessa, mas não se não acompanhar as nossas ações.

Muitas vezes é visível o desconforto das pessoas a tentar encontrar as palavras certas, a hesitar entre “preto”, “negro”, “de cor”, não devia ser assim tão difícil. Eu garanto que, se o conteúdo do discurso for o correcto, a maioria das pessoas não se vai importar com a palavra escolhida. Tendo em conta a minha experiência, as pessoas preocupam-se muito mais com a intenção/tom, do que propriamente com a palavra em si.

Sou branca, por isso não posso falar em primeira mão, mas tenho irmãos e primos pretos, tenho amigos pretos e trabalho, em grande parte, com a miúdos pretos, e o que todos me dizem é que está na forma como as pessoas usam as palavras. Já os vi ficarem ofendidos com pessoas que utilizaram a terminologia “correcta”, porque o seu discurso estava carregado de julgamento, e já os vi aceitarem os comentários de alguém que utilizou linguagem menos formal, mas que o fez de forma respeitosa. Às vezes, a preocupação em ser politicamente correcto é tanta, que as pessoas esquecem-se do resto.

O que me preocupa sobre o racismo é que, ao contrário de outras causas que têm vindo a ganhar mais terreno – como os direitos das mulheres e das comunidades LGBTQ+ - há uma presunção para muitas pessoas que o racismo é um problema que já está resolvido. Felizmente vivemos num país onde, de forma geral, o racismo não é aceitável e onde a maioria das pessoas não é abertamente racista, mas só porque não é assumido, não quer dizer que não exista. Algumas pessoas, pessoas que são brancas e nunca tiveram de lidar com isso, teimam que não existe. O que me incomoda a vários níveis, mas talvez o principal seja, como é que alguém que não faz parte de uma minoria pode ter tanta certeza que o racismo não existe? Como é que alguém pode ser tão arrogante que, só porque não o sente/vê, discute com quem passa por isso todos os dias que o racismo não existe?

Obviamente, enquanto mulher branca a viver em Portugal, nunca vou viver o racismo da mesma forma que os meus irmãos, os meus amigos ou os meus miúdos vivem, mas isso não quer dizer que não reconheça a sua existência. Aliás, isso só faz com que queria estar mais atenta ao que me rodeia, que queria ter mais atenção às interações que se passam à minha volta, porque exactamente por não me afectar directamente, é fácil ficar indiferente, e não quero isso para mim.

Negar que o racismo existe é o pior problema de todos, porque não podemos resolver um problema que não admitimos que existe. O que nos traz de volta ao inicio deste texto, que é porque é que é tão importante falar sobre isto, e porque é que fico tão frustrada quando não o consigo fazer, porque independentemente do quão impossível seja para mim perceber o porquê de uma pessoa ser racista, é só a falar sobre isso, educando as pessoas, que podemos mudar mentalidades. Mantermos os nossos argumentos só para nós, ignorar certos comentários ou acções não ajuda em nada, precisamos chamar a atenção para o problema, precisamos ajudar as pessoas a reflectir sobre o que dizem e o que fazem, mesmo que seja difícil estabelecer uma relação com alguém com ideais tão diferentes dos nossos.

Sempre tive um grande problema com coisas que não compreendo. Fico frustrada, desesperada, sinto-me impotente, perco qualquer interesse numa discussão, tenho vontade de gritar e chorar, e faço exactamente o contrário, fecho-me em mim mesma. Mas isso não pode acontecer. Não quando falamos de racismo. Por isso, é algo que tenho vindo a tentar mudar isso em mim mesma, tenho tentado ser mais assertiva em tópicos que para mim são realmente importantes, porque ficar calada é infantil e, não só não ajuda em nada, como ainda me faz ficar zangada comigo mesma.

No comments :