Thursday, March 28, 2019

Know your impact/Conhece o teu impacto


Nota: Versão portuguesa abaixo


When i was little I used to wonder how the world would be if i had never been born.

It happened in different occasions, but I have this clear vision of third grade me, sitting at the cafeteria, surrounded by friends and teachers that I loved, and just wonder if anything would be any different if I wasn’t there.

I’d shut my eyes hard, until all I could see was pitch dark, in hopes the image would get clear. Much like toddlers, who cover their eyes and believe no-one can see them, I thought maybe if I’d close mine they wouldn’t see me.

I didn’t feel out of place, I wasn’t sad or depressed, nothing really brought it up, I was just curious… I was simply a kid, I hadn’t accomplished anything major, I hadn’t made a difference in the world, I didn’t even know that many people, so how much difference could it really make?

The answer for this question, I’d learn later, is something I will never know.

I might find out how much losing someone can change every little thing in one’s life, and I have. But that’s not the same as knowing how never meeting someone can change the route of things.

As I said, I don’t really know what made me have these thoughts, I guess I just always needed a purpose, I thought I needed a reason to be here… alive. Merely living always seemed too simple, I was sure there had to be something else, a bigger picture, some kind of mission.

Growing up was hard, feeling the years pass by and not feeling any closer to finding out what my mission was, was daunting. For a long time I was so worried I was wasting precious time that I ended up not fully enjoying what I had in hands.

I’ve learned to slow down slightly. I’ve realised, over the years, that while I worried I was wasting time, I was actually having one of a kind experiences and growing myself up. And I may not be any closer to finding out WHY I am here, but I dare to say I’m a little bit closer to WHO I am. 

I don’t think I’ll ever stop needing a reason to justify my existence, that’s just who I am… but maybe a need to take a step back and see things from a different perspective.

What if I don’t need to look for a reason anymore? What if, whatever my purpose is, I have being working it without even knowing?

“Know your impact”

I was reading today about all the plans and ideas we all have and how often, despite our best intentions and motivation, we get stuck on “Where do I start?”. According to the author the answer was as simple as “Know your impact” - find out the magnitude your actions, your existence, has on the people around you, and take it from there. And it got me thinking that maybe it’s not about finding a purpose and shaping our lives to it, maybe it’s about looking into our lives and see what being ourselves is already accomplishing.    


::::::::::::::::::::::::


Conhece o teu impacto


Em pequena tinha por hábito tentar imaginar como seria o mundo se eu nunca tivesse nascido.

Era algo que fazia com alguma regularidade, mas lembro-me em particular de  um dia, na terceira classe, estar no refeitório, rodeada de amigos e professores que adorava, e de tentar imaginar se alguma coisa seria diferente se eu não existisse.

Fechava os meus olhos com muita força, até não ver nada mas um denso manto preto, na esperança de conseguir imaginar com mais clareza. Tal como um bebé que tapa os olhos e acredita que ninguém o vê,  pensava que talvez se fechasse os meus também eu desaparecesse.

Não me sentia deslocada, não estava triste nem deprimida, não tinha acontecido nada de particular, tinha apenas curiosidade... era só uma criança, ainda não tinha feito nada de especial, ainda não tinha contribuído com nada para o mundo, nem sequer conhecia assim tantas pessoas, por isso também não podia fazer assim uma diferença tão grande, certo?

A resposta a essa pergunta, descobriria mais tarde, nunca iria encontrar.

Poderia até vir a descobrir como perder uma pessoa pode mudar significativamente a nossa vida, o que se veio a verificar. Mas isso é diferente de sabermos como é que o facto de nunca conhecermos uma pessoa pode alterar o nosso caminho.

Não sei de onde vinham estes pensamentos, acho que simplesmente sempre precisei de um propósito, pensava que precisava de uma razão para estar aqui... viva. Meramente viver sempre me parecera demasiado simples, estava certa que tinha de haver algo mais, uma espécie de missão.

Crescer foi difícil, sentir os anos a passar e não me sentir mais perto de descobrir qual era a minha missão era aterrador. Durante muito tempo preocupei-me tanto em desperdiçar tempo que acabei por não aproveitar o que tinha em mãos.

Eventualmente acabei por aprender a abrandar um pouco. Aprendi, com os anos, que durante o tempo que achava que desperdiçava, estava na verdade a viver experiências únicas e a crescer. E talvez não esteja hoje mais próximo de descobrir PORQUE é que estou aqui, mas atrevo-me a dizer que estou mais próxima de QUEM sou.

Acho que nunca vou deixar de precisar de uma razão que justifique a minha existência, mas percebo agora que talvez tenha de olhar para trás com uma perspectiva renovada.
E e não precisar de procurar uma razão? E se, qualquer que seja o meu propósito, eu já o esteja a realizar sem me dar conta?

“Conhece o teu impacto”

Hoje, estava a ler sobre todas as ideias e planos que temos e que frequentemente, apesar das nossas intenções e motivações, deixamos cair por terra porque ficamos presos no “Onde é que começo?”. De acordo com o autor,  resposta é tão simples como “Conhece o teu impacto” – descobre a magnitude que as tuas ações, a tua existência, tem nas pessoas à tua volta, e começa ai.

Isso fez-me pensar que se calhar não se trata de encontrarmos um propósito e moldar as nossas vidas a ele, se calhar trata-se de olharmos para as nossas vidas e percebermos o que é que sermos nós mesmos já atingiu.

No comments :