Monday, November 19, 2012

The difference a year can make/A diferença que um ano pode fazer

Nota: Versão portuguesa mais abaixo.

One year. 12 simply months. 525600 freaking minutes.
How is it possible that you change so much in such a small period of time? How can you grow up as much in that period as you have in the 5 years prior to that?
The experience that changed my life, that changed me. One year abroad and suddenly you find yourself challenging the person you thought you were, one year away from the people you care about and you dare to be different, one year alone and you learn to turn your flaws into assets. A lifetime experience without doubt.
I knew the experience was being amazing from the start, but it’s only looking back now that I truly understand how important this has been in shaping me into whom I became, who I am now. I’m not dismissing my past nor my childhood, both which I believe were immensely relevant, but I wasn’t aware then, so it’s different. This time I was older, and I could see the changes happening around me, inside me. The core is still the same, and for other people I don’t even think the change is that evident, but personally I can tell. Once again it’s mostly in little things that I notice it, but the difference is certainly there.
It’s great to have a safety network, to know the people around you and where you stand. It’s amazing that people feel strongly about you, that they trust you to do amazing things, but it can also be very daunting. Sometimes it’s just easier not having that weight on your shoulders, not having to act accordingly to what people expect from you, it’s just so freer to be able to try different things without having to justify your choices, without people making a bid deal about it, because if they don’t know you they’ll just think it’s normal.
Being away from what’s comfortable gives you a new perspective about things. During 12 full months, my whole world revolved around two kids, my trips, my music, my PC and my Tv shows. My best friends were two years old and each and every single word meant so much. Every “I love you”, every hug, everytime they called my name or cried when I was about to leave the house, all the references, all the games… the weight of it was so much stronger, so much deeper. It’s been two years since I came back, three since I left and still undeniably, nothing I’ve ever lived can top this experience. I know I’m young, with a lot to live, and maybe in a distant future I’ll look back and won’t think this mattered that much after all, but somehow that feels really hard to believe right now.
There are decisions in your life that you regret, some that you’re not sure how you feel about and others that you’re just proud of. This is mine. It doesn’t come easily for me, feel proud about something I’ve done, but this is the one thing I can really say without hesitations that I’m proud to have followed through the whole thing, and I can only wish more people would dare to try, because it’s a truly amazing feeling.

Extra: I've been working on a longer piece about my year in he United States. Let me know if you would be interested.


A diferença que um ano pode fazer


Um ano. 12 simples meses. 525600 minutos. 
Como é possível mudares tanto em tão pouco tempo? Como podes crescer mais durante esse período do que cresceste no últimos cinco anos? 
A experiência que mudou a minha vida, que me mudou. Um ano no estrangeiro e de repente estás a desafiar a pessoa que achavas ser, um ano longe das pessoas de quem gostas e atreves-te a ser diferente, um ano sozinho e aprendes a transformar as tuas limitações em pontos fortes. Uma experiência única, sem dúvida. 
Desde o início que sabia que a experiência estava a ser fantástica, mas só agora olhando para trás consigo perceber o quanto me ajudou a transformar na pessoa que me tornei, na pessoa que sou. Não desvalorizo o meu passado nem a minha infância, pois considero que foram fulcrais no meu desenvolvimento, mas na altura não tinha consciência por isso é diferente. Desta vez era mais crescida e pude ver as mudanças a acontecer à minha volta. O núcleo manteve-se o mesmo, e para as outras pessoas a mudança pode não ser evidente, mas eu consigo vê-la. Mais uma vez a diferença estás nas pequenas coisas, mas é certamente evidente. 
É óptimo viver com uma rede de segurança, conhecer as pessoas à nossa volta e saber qual é o nosso papel. É fantástico que as pessoas tenham expectativas altas em relação à tua pessoa e confiem em nós para atingirmos metas difíceis, mas isso também se pode tornar assustador. Às vezes é mais fácil viver sem sentir o peso da responsabilidade nos teus ombros, não ter de agir de acordo com o que esperam de ti. É tão libertador poder tentar coisas novas sem ter de justificar as tuas escolhas, sem as pessoas estranharem, porque se elas não te conhecem apenas vão pensar que é normal. 
Estar longe de onde estamos confortáveis dá-nos uma nova perspectiva sobre as coisas. Durante 12 meses, o meu mundo girou a volta de duas crianças, as minhas viagens, a minha música, o meu computador e as minhas séries. Os meus melhores amigos tinham dois anos e cada simples gesto ou palavra tinha um especial. Cada “adoro-te”, cada abraço, cada vez que eles chamavam o meu nome ou choravam quando me viam sair de casa, todas as referências, todos os jogos... o peso de tudo isso era tão mais forte, tão mais profundo. Passaram-se dois anos desde que voltei, três desde que parti para esta aventura e ainda, sem dúvida considero que nada do que tenha vivido antes se possa comparar a esta experiência. Sei que ainda sou nova, com bastante para viver, e que talvez daqui a uns anos olhe para trás e não sinta o mesmo, mas neste momento é difícil acreditar que isso possa acontecer. 
Há decisões na tua vida das quais te arrependes, outras que não tens certeza do que sentes em relação a elas e outras que simplesmente te orgulhas de ter tomado. Esta é a minha. Não acontece frequentemente, sentir-me orgulhosa de algo que fiz, mas digo sem hesitações que me orgulho de ter seguido esta aventura até ao fim e apenas desejo que mais pessoas se atrevam a fazer o mesmo, porque de facto é um sentimento fantástico. 

Extra: Tenho estado a trabalhar numa peça mais longa sobre a minha aventura nos Estados Unidos. Digam-me se teriam interesse nisso também. 

No comments :