Saturday, February 18, 2012

What would we do without music?


What would we do without music? 

Whatever your feelings are there’s always some particular song that will adequate to it. When you’re not able to describe or understand what’s going inside of you, there’re always those lyrics that couldn’t be any more perfect. Music helps you mourn when you’re down, it doesn’t force you to overcome something that you’re not yet ready to face, it allows you to wallow and it keeps you company in the lonely nights. 
But music is not just present in the bad moments. No, music has the ability to accompany us in every state or mood. It is music you blast when you’re excited about a great day, when you want to shake it up or belt it out how happy you are. 
Music adjusts to your needs. It’s music I put on when I need to focus on my own thoughts, when I want to look deeper into my emotions but it’s also music I blast when I’m trying to ignore what’s going inside my head. It’s a safety net. It’s something that no matter what I can count on. I love songs that put a smile on my face every single time they come up on my ipod, but I equally love those almost depressing songs that no matter what will always put me on a more introspective mood. It’s fascinating to me to realize that other people have experienced similar dilemmas, similar pain and how you can feel so connect to someone you have never even met. 
What’s so special about music? Is it the melody or the lyrics? I think it’s hard to define, and it most definitely varies from person to person. To me, I find that most of times I get attracted to the lyrics the most. To the lyrics and to the artist/performer. I have to feel somehow connect to him/her and that has an unquestionably result on how I react to a song. But I do have a couple of songs that lyrically mean absolutely nothing to me but that somehow make me feel something good inside when I play them. I think music is an amazing thing. A friend, an expression tool, a great psychologist! Music is one of those little pleasures in life that often we over look but that I would be totally devastated if for some reason I’d had to live without.

1 comment :

Rita said...

É verdade, algo tão simples e que chega a nós tão facilmente, por vezes "compreende-nos" melhor do que qualquer pessoa. Realmente não consigo imaginar como seria viver sem música, mas de certeza que seria muito triste a aborrecido...