Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Is it?

Is it still racism when you tend to like someone just because of their origin? If it is then I’m guilty of it… ‘cause gosh how I love African people (or African descendants)!
Nelsito - Mozambique 2011
I’ve always had this thing for black people. Can’t explain when it started or why it happens but truth is they just allure me. My friend, whose family is from Cape Verde, always says that I was born the wrong color. She claims that no matter how pale my skin is on the outside, on the inside I am as black as she is.
Obviously I know we can’t generalize but I’m telling you. You’ll introduce to someone black and 90% chances are that I’m going to like them.
It’s funny because when I look around me I realize that some of the most important people in my life have some fort of African blood in their veins. So now I wonder… Do I love them because their black? Or did I learn to love black people because the ones that I have in my life have always been so special?
Anyways… They are absolutely gorgeous. The women are stunning. Even without make up or fancy dresses they still manage to look great. The man have some nice features and are quite charming as well. And the children…. Cute, cute, cute (even more than all the others that are already utterly cute)! Yes I’m bias, but still… I just want to bring them all home!
I’m telling you, being in Africa at the moment is constant temptation. 

2 comments :

a said...

So my friend, you are obviously in your element on your trip to the "Motherland". It is often said that once you have the smell of Africa in your body...you are hooked and will always long to go back to the place where humanity is said to have originated. Having said that.... let´s not confuse being "African" with race, nor skin color. A black American friend of mine once told to his adopted son "do not assume someones race or nationality with the color of his skin. Strangely, my black friend resented the classification "African American" as he did not consider himself in anyway African. His heritage was Panamanian and he felt much more Latino than African. My husband, on the other hand is white in color, but having been born in Africa, considers himself a true African American, now that he is an American Citizen. Not being racist myself, I treasure the wise words of my Mother, "In the dark we are all the same color" and " you can never change a person´s nature, that is their soul but you can change their behaviour, that is learned". Yes, no doubt you have a favorable bias toward people of color and that,in itself, is probably a result of your nature and learned behaviours. xxx

Fi Ferreira said...

Thanks for the wise words :)