Thursday, October 20, 2011

Random Scene - Part I of II


They cuddled in the couch forgetting about the world outside. For the first in almost two months they had finally gave in to their feelings and it felt so right. They both knew they had to talk but neither of them wanted to end that moment.
Rachel was lying on top him resting her head on his chest. With his left arm around her he fondled her hair gently.  With the other hand he played with her fingers. She could feel his heartbeat, he was peaceful now.
“We can’t do this…” - he finally said.
She sighed.
“Sweetheart, I don’t like it more than you do but we have to face it.” – he insisted.
She knew he was right. She took a deep breath and sat down.
“Okay, let’s talk about it” – she had a feeling this was not going to be an easy talk.
“We can’t be together…” - he started.
“Stop saying that!” – she supplicated.
“It’s true.”
“Why? Why does it have to be like that? Why can’t you even consider it?” – she asked him.
It was hard enough to convince himself they’d have no chances together, David wasn’t sure if he would be strong enough to convince her too.
“Come on Rachel you know I’m right. We have to be rational.”
“I don’t want to be rational. I want you” – she argued – “and unless you don’t want to be with me I don’t understand why we shouldn’t be together.”
“You’re honestly telling me that after all I’ve told you about my life, about me, you didn’t change your mind?”
“Change my mind about what? I don’t care about your past babe. I like you for who you are. I probably respect you even more now that I know all that you’ve been through and how you still managed to become the wonderful person you are today.”
He had imagined different scenarios on how Rachel would react when she found out the truth about him but not in a thousand years he was expecting it to be like this.
“Remember how it was with Chase” – David told her.
“What?” – now she was confused  - “why are you even bringing that up? It’s a totally different situation.”
“I know. I’m just saying that I remember how crazy you told me it was. Everyone talking about your life. People making up stories about you, pushing you down…”
“So?” – she asked.
“So, what do you think it will happen once they find out you’re dating an ex-drug dealer with alcoholic history?”
She was starting to get his point.
“I don’t care” – Rachel said calmly – “I don’t. I’ve tried too hard to please everybody. It’s never going to happen. So I don’t want to waste anything else in my life because of that.”
“You told me that things were finally settling down and that it felt good. You don’t need this publicity now” – he insisted.
“Do you want to know what I need? I need people to stop making decisions for me!” – she freaked out. Then calming herself down added – “I need people to see me as a regular girl. I need someone that cares about me. I need to be loved. That’s what I need.”
David looked at her. She was right. Behind that famous, perfect and gorgeous woman there was a lonely girl desperately trying to find love.
“I get what you’re saying” - he said – “and you deserve all that. But sweetheart, I just don’t think this is it” – it killed him to have to say those words.

To be continued...

No comments :