Monday, April 27, 2020

Write something that someone told you about yourself you never forgot / Escreve sobre uma coisa que te tenham dito sobre ti que tu nunca esqueceste (Day 29)


Note 1: While being quarantine, in an effort to try to prevent my brain to turn into mush I'll try to complete a 30 Day writing challenge. Each day I'll get a prompt about which I should write.

Nota 2: versão portuguesa mais abaixo.


A friend told me once “The world is a better place because of you and your beautiful soul. You are truly inspirational and I can't wait to be part of the audience that will witness you accept the acknowledgment of changing the world.” (Stephanie Maxwell)

It’s hard to even begin to describe the impact that such words have. More even, considering that they come from a friend who herself as done beautiful things for this world.

When I was little, I remember sitting at the cafeteria in primary school, a room full of noisy kids, laughing and shouting, and I just closed my eyes hard, until it was pitch dark, and I tried to imagine how the world would be if I wasn’t in it, if I’d never been born. It sounds darker than it really was, I was just genuinely curious of how much it would’ve impacted people around me.

I’ve always wondered about these kinds of things, my daydreams are always filled with crazy alternative universes, that are developed around the idea of how each choice, each person that crosses one’s life has the power to alter everything.

Maybe it’s because of that awareness that I don’t take my existence lightly. I’ve always had this weird sense of guilt for being alive, as if somehow, I need to find a way to justify my existence. I’ve always felt this weight on my shoulders, an urge to make myself useful, not to waste my life, because it not just mine to waste, it’s the worlds, so I should do something meaningful with it.

This eagerness to act and do something for others has always been highly contrasted by my introversion, which in short results in a road full of challenges and frustrations. Our impact is not always visible to the naked eye or in a short time, and when it comes to people, is very hard to measure it. For that reason, it’s easy to lose focus when everything demands so much of you, it’s easy to get stuck on the things you didn’t do yet, to lose faith in yourself and just quit…

But, every once in a while, someone reaches out – with kind words or a warm hug – and I’m reminded that what I do matters, even if in a tiny scale, even if just for one person, but it matters. I’m reminded of the people who have crossed my path, even if temporarily, and how some have strongly impacted my life choices, my values, my identity, and that even if I was the only life they’ve changed (which is unlikely), still they made a difference, they changed my life.


That’s why I never forgot those words, not because I need the acknowledgment or the attention, simply because sometimes a shift in perspective is crucial, it allows me to refocus on what really matters, it allows me focus on the simple things and, therefore, keep going. 



Escreve sobre uma coisa que te tenham dito sobre ti que tu nunca esqueceste


Nota 3: Enquanto estou em quarenta, e numa tentativa de impedir que o meu cérebro se transforme em papa vou tentar completar um desafio de escrita de 30 dias. Cada dia terá um tópico sobre o qual deverei escrever.


Uma amiga disse-me uma vez “O mundo é um sítio melhor por causa de ti e da tua alma bonita. És verdadeiramente inspiradora e mal posso esperar para fazer parte da audiência que te vai testemunhar a aceitar o reconhecimento de mudar o mundo” (Stephanie Maxwell).

É difícil descrever o impacto que estas palavras têm. Mais ainda tendo em conta que vêm de uma pessoa que, ela própria, já fez coisas fantásticas por este mundo.

Quando era pequena, lembro-me de estar sentada no refeitório da escola primária, uma sala cheia de miúdos barulhentos, a rir e a gritar, e lembro-me de fechar os olhos com muita força, até ver tudo preto, e de tentar imaginar como seria o mundo se eu não existisse, se nunca tivesse nascido. Soa mais depressivo do que era, tinha simplesmente uma enorme curiosidade de perceber como isso afectaria as pessoas à minha volta.

Sempre me questionei sobre estas coisas, os meus sonhos foram sempre repletos de universos alternativos que se desenvolviam à volta da premissa de que cada escolha, cada pessoa que se atravessa no nosso caminho tem o potencial de alterar tudo.

Talvez por ter essa consciência, sempre levei a minha existência muito a sério. Tive sempre um certo sentimento de culpa por estar viva, como se, de alguma forma, tivesse de justificar a minha existência. Carreguei sempre esse peso comigo, uma necessidade de me fazer útil, de não desperdiçar a minha vida, porque não me pertencia apenas a mim, mas sim ao mundo, e por isso devia fazer algo de interessante com ela.

Esta ansiedade de agir e fazer algo pelos outros foi sempre contrastada com a minha introversão, o que, resumindo, resulta num caminho cheio de desafios e frustrações. O nosso impacto nem sempre é visível a olho nu ou a curto prazo, e quando se trata de pessoas, muitas vezes é difícil medi-lo. Por isso, é fácil perder o foco quando tudo exige tanto de ti, é fácil ficar preso às ideias que não concretizámos ainda, perder a fé em nós mesmos e desistir…

Mas, de vez em quando, surge alguém – com palavras encorajadoras ou um abraço apertado – e sou relembrada de que o que faço tem valor, ainda que seja numa escala minúscula, ainda que seja apenas para uma pessoa, mas tem. Sou relembrada das pessoas que se cruzaram no meu caminho, algumas apenas temporariamente, e que ainda assim influenciaram fortemente as minhas escolhas, os meus valores, a minha identidade. E mesmo que a minha tenha sido a única vida que mudaram, o que não é provável, ainda assim fizeram a diferença.

É por isso que não esquece as palavras da Stephanie. Não porque preciso de reconhecimento ou atenção, simplesmente porque às vezes uma mudança da perspectiva é crucial, permite-me voltar a focar no que realmente importa, permite-me focar nos pequenos gestos e assim, continuar.

No comments :