Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fantasy World/Mundo de Fantasia


Nota: Versão portuguesa mais abaixo

I’ve always consider the interest in fantasy to be related to a need to have an escape from the real world. In books, movies, plays, tv shows and even song lyrics, we get to live from others experiences all the things that we have always wished, or feared or secretly dreamed about. I think the things you watch, and the stories you are interested in can reveal a lot about the person that you are and the struggles you face within yourself. It’s not always simple or clear, because it may not even be related to the main story line, what gets to you may be a secondary character or simply a nuance in one of the relationships in a big plot.

You may not even realize it, you probably shouldn’t, unless you’re a rational freak as I am, because in my point of view art is supposed to be enjoyed more than understood.  This is why I can’t let myself be convinced to watch someone else’s favorite movie or show, why I would never try to force someone to listen to the songs that I hear on repeat over and over again or try to advertise a book that no matter how many years have gone by is still on my “to go” list. I would never do it because, at least for me, it’s something so special, so personal, it’s something that comes from the heart. Nowadays, the offer is so big, everywhere you turn you have thousands of story lines throwing at you every single day and it’s hard to tell why some work and some didn’t, but in the end I guess that’s a good thing because it means that there’s something out there for everyone. I’m not one of those people who will mistake reality with fiction, that sees characters as real people or that can’t understand that it’s never exactly like that in the real world, but I will not deny I have learn a lot about the world, but more important about myself with the stories I follow. I need things that challenge me, that make me consider what I would do if I was to be in a similar situation, things that make me fight my demons and face those things you try to hide away from everybody. I like specially how nowadays heroes don’t have to be perfect anymore, how they stumble and fall and make mistakes, how they imitate life in the sense they can be great in some areas and completely clueless in others. It gives us hope, it tells us that maybe we’re just being too harsh on ourselves when we strive for perfections, that it’s okay to fall, that it’s okay to seek help and mostly that you can’t (and don’t have to) make it alone.

I’m guessing it’s not the same for everyone. Maybe for most of you, movies, tv shows, books and music are just a way to relax after a long day of work and you don’t put much thought into it. Maybe all of this just makes sense to those you are more closed up, but it’s a nice safety network, is good to have they nice place to go “home” to when you want to hide of the world. So, when people say kids need to get out the house more, watch less tv or put the earphones down more often, I agree with them in a way, of course, because yes, the real world is out there, but at the same time, I understand this need and I think that in some cases it can actually be helpful and healthier having this world to run to every once in a while.





Sempre achei que o interesse por fantasia estava relacionado com a necessidade de escapar ao mundo real. Através de livros, filmes, peças de teatro, séries e até letras de músicas, conseguimos viver através dos outros tudo aquilo que desejamos, tememos ou com que secretamente sonhámos. Acredito que as coisas que vês, as histórias pelas quais te interessas podem ser muito reveladoras sobre a pessoa que és e as lutas que tens contigo mesmo. Nem sempre é simples ou claro, até porque o interesse pode nem estar na história principal, o que te desperta atenção pode ser uma personagem secundária ou simplesmente uma nuance numa das relações de um enredo complicado.

Podes nem te aperceber, provavelmente não deverias, a não ser que como eu sejas obcecado com racionalidade, porque na verdade acho que a arte, mais do que explicada deve ser sentida. É por isso que não me consigo deixar convencer a ver o filme ou série preferida de outra pessoa, porque nunca tento convencer alguém a ouvir a música que oiço vezes sem conta nem tento publicitar aquele livro que apesar dos anos que passam continua a ser uma escolha segura. Não o faço porque, pelo menos para mim, é algo muito especial, muito pessoal, um sentimento que tem de vir de dentro.


Hoje em dia a oferta é tão grande, para todos os lados para onde nos viramos milhares de histórias nos são atiradas diariamente, e é difícil perceber porque algumas funcionam e outras não, mas no considero que isso é bom, porque à diversidade e algo que destinado a todas as pessoas. Não sou daquelas pessoas que confundem a realidade com a ficção, que vê personagens como personagens reais ou que não consegue perceber que nunca é exactamente assim no mundo real, mas não vou negar que aprendi muito sobre o mundo, e mais importante ainda, sobre mim mesma, através das histórias que sigo. Preciso de coisas que me desafiem, que me estimulem, que me façam considerar como agiria se estivesse numa situação semelhante, coisas que me façam querer lutar contra os meus demónios interiores e enfrentar aquilo que tentamos esconder do mundo inteiro. Gosto como os “heróis modernos” não têm de ser perfeitos, como podem tropeçar, cair e cometer erros, como imitam a vida real no sentido em que pode ser os mais conceituados numa área e andar completamente à deriva noutras. Dá-nos esperança, mostra-nos que talvez estejamos a ser demasiado duros com nós próprios quando ambicionamos perfeição, que não faz mal cair, que não faz mal pedir ajuda e mais importante, que não consegue (nem tens) de enfrentar o mundo sozinho.


Acredito que não seja igual com toda a gente. Talvez para a maior parte de vocês, filmes, séries, livros e música funcionem apenas como um escape para relaxar depois de um longo dia de trabalho, e não se debrucem muito sobre o assunto. Talvez tudo isto faça mais sentido para aqueles que são mais introvertidos, mas é uma boa rede de segurança, é reconfortante ter aquele algo que nos faz sentir “em casa” quando precisamos de fugir do mundo por um momento. Portanto, quando oiço as pessoas dizerem que os miúdos precisam de sair mais de casa, ver menos televisão e tirar os phones dos ouvidos mais regularmente, concordo, em parte porque percebo que sim, o mundo está lá fora. Contudo, ao mesmo tempo, também percebo essa necessidade de refúgio e acho que em alguns casos pode até ser saudável e positivo ter este pequeno mundo para fugir de vez sem quando. 

No comments :