Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Trips, hugs and missing you


Hi everyone,

First of all let me apologize for not coming here so regularly the last couple of weeks but there are moments in your life you really have to take a step back and enjoy the moment. As much as I LOVE to write I use it most of the time as an escape, a way to zone out of the real world. To me writing was never a hobby it was always a need, something I had to do to keep (some of) my sanity, so when I do have those rare moments when I don’t feel the urge, or even remember to do it I take them, because no matter how great of a dreamer or a writer a person can be, those thoughts will never warm one’s heart the same way a real experience will.

I just came back from my holidays, where me and my friend (who I met since I was 3!) spent 17 days in the USA. It was her first time out of Europe and she was really excited to get to know this “new world”, to me, more than the places (that I already knew) I was excited to be able to get to see some very special people.

I’m not the type who gets easily attached to people. I can go months without talking or seeing someone that I care and not really miss them. I’ve lived abroad before and even though I loved coming back to all my friends, I can’t say that being without them lingered around my head while I was gone. Now that I think about it I think it was because I knew exactly for how long I would be away, and I knew I would see them again after that, but there’s something about not knowing if, or when I’ll be seeing someone again that makes me miss them even before I have to leave them.

During this period that I was away, I re-learned something that somehow I seem to keep forgetting, and that is that you don’t have to be a contestant presence in someone’s life to matter or even be remembered, and that no matter how young or old the other part is, if you’re really important, no matter the distance, it will all come back to them once you’re there again. I didn’t expect them to remember me that well… I didn’t expect it to feel so natural, so…. Good! But it was almost like I had never left and as selfish as it can be, I can’t denied that a part of me melted when they asked me to come back and never leave again…

It’s funny because I tend to be really awkward around people I’m not familiar with or that I don’t see frequently. I’m not a people person, therefore, I need time to work my skills to build and maintain a relationship.  I don’t have that gift of always knowing what to do or what to say, but somehow with these 3 groups of people that we stayed with it has always been very easy to adjust.

I love to travel but hate that the world is so big! I hate that it’s not easy to find people so kind and that when you do sometimes you have to deal with the fact that they are miles away from you.  We had a blast during these days and what I loved the most is the feeling of growing a little bit closer to these people with each trip. It may seem silly but it’s reassuring the idea that it is possible to have long distance friends (almost second families).

Anyways… This was mostly to let you know that I’m back now and will most likely be posting more frequently and to thank once again to those who made this trip so fun and special. Can’t wait to hug you all again J

No comments :